These are Christmas spiced biscuits born in the Anglo-Saxon world and Northern Europe but now known and widespread everywhere: spiced shortcrust pastry with cinnamon, ground ginger, ground cloves and nutmeg are the most used to make ginger breads, also known as gingerbread men ! The shortcrust pastry can be used to give the most varied Christmas shapes to cookies: reindeer, trees, stars, bells or even the little house to be decorated with royal icing.
Christmas Gingerbread cookies very easy and perfect to give to friends and relatives as a gift idea to be sealed in Christmas packages. The shortcrust pastry includes the addition of spices and honey or molasses: in this recipe you will find all the details for the preparation of the shortcrust pastry for gingerbread. In original recipe of the Gingerbread men is made from molasses, nowadays difficult to find except in specialized shops or pastry shops, therefore it is possible to replace it with honey. The gingerbread mold I used has 4 different sizes.
The dough is prepared with type 1 flour, grated Parmesan, salt, olive oil and brewer’s yeast. At the end of the dough they are added diced speck and chopped black olives. It is left to rise until doubled, then the loaves are formed by stretching pieces of dough with your hands to then pass into the semolina that gives that fantastic rustic look. Instead of speck you can add cubes of bacon or ham or you can omit it if you want to prepare vegetarian loaves with olives and Parmesan. If you don’t have black olives, green ones are fine.
GIngerbread or Gingerbread recipe
- 350 g flour 00
- 150 g brown sugar
- 50 g wildflower honey (or molasses)
- 1 egg
- 120 g butter
- 1 / 2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 / 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 / 2 teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1 pinch nutmeg
For the Royal Ice
- 30 g egg white
- 140 g powdered sugar
- a few drops of lemon juice
- to taste food coloring
HOW TO MAKE GINGERBREAD COOKIES
- Prepare the shortcrust pastry following this recipe in detail. Form a loaf and wrap it in plastic wrap then place it in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Take the shortcrust pastry dough and roll it out on a lightly floured work surface or between two sheets of parchment paper. Cut out the shortcrust pastry with gingerbread molds and place them on a baking tray covered with parchment paper. After having cut out the gingerbread men you can knead the scraps again, roll them out and cut them out again with the molds until the pastry is finished.
HOW TO COOK GINGERBREADS
- Preheat the oven to 180° in static mode and cook for 12-14 minutes until golden brown. Remove the biscuits and let them cool then pass them on a wire rack.
HOW TO MAKE REAL ICE FOR GINGERBREAD
- Beat the egg white with the lemon drops with a fork or hand whisk until you get a frothy mixture then add the icing sugar and mix it always with a hand whisk. You can color a part of it with food coloring, I used red. Set aside or pour directly into the pastry bag with 2 mm spout or syringe.
HOW TO DECORATE THE GINGERBREAD MEN
- You can more easily lay the cookies on parchment paper. Decorate with a steady hand as you prefer, making eyes and mouth and then decorating the clothes with scarves, skirts, socks and gloves. Let the royal icing solidify before storing them in food bags or tin boxes.
Click -> gingerbread mold